Carving Staffs Prices off
-
Yes, but at the same time, wizard staffs are very much a 'in demand' item.
-
You craft staff tier 2 with staff tier one. You're paying for the cost of the abilities you add. So 7.5 times cost for tier three from two not mathing correctly.
Rather Tier 3 staff costs about 26000 gold if you were to buy it in a shop.
Its then split into three tiers to break up the cost and the total cost is split in half between those three tiers.
That's (right or wrong - open to feedback entirely) how the cost is being set.
So if the tier one costs 250 gold, its because it costs 500 gold in a shop if you were to buy it instead of craft it, if tier 2 costs 6000 its because you're adding about 12,000 more value to the staff, and if tier three costs 5200 its because you're adding 10400 value to the staff.
Entirely open to discussing how crafting prices were reached - but this is how they were all approached in terms of cost. The idea was "craft stuff in tiers, give a 50% discount from what it'd cost in stores, break expensive stuff into tiers so players can manage the costs better -- and make the stuff good stuff you won't find easily on quests, but you can predictably craft".
Telling you this mostly to help explain the design choice and get feedback on that over all.
-
ok maybe i didnt make it clear the wizard staff is t1= 10g t2= 6800 t3 6000 total 20010k.
the same staff for a cleric staff of death t1=10g t2= 800 t3=6k total 6810
staff of wisdom 10g, 800, 6k same bonus
only other one is the staff of agis that is a wizard staff that cost in total 20010kstaffs give t1, t2, t3, spell slots and +2, +2 skills and then some usable spells. why is it the mage cost alot more.. same with druid and all the other staffs they only cost 6810 total
-
@ZLandrloff The cost is based on the total value of each staff in the toolset, minus the cost of any earlier staff. If something costs more its because its worth a lot more in the toolset.
-
so cleric, druid, divine souls get a total cost 6820 gold staffs with spell slots 1,2,3 +2 skill and +2 skill and spells .. are lesser casters and beings then a wizard that gets the same 1,2, 3 spells slots +2 skills +2 skills. and spells and pays 22210 for a staff
-
maybe a voice chat and a visual explanation of what im seeing might help
-
@ZLandrloff Sure, you can post some pictures - that may help because whatever you're saying isn't getting to me.
-
Ok, I think I can explain what I'm seeing better with the actual staffs.
I'm not questioning how you calculated the crafting price from the toolset value. I understand what you're saying there: if the toolset says the item is worth more, the crafting recipe ends up costing more.
What I'm questioning is why the toolset value is so much higher when the actual benefits of the staffs are very similar.
For example, look at the High Priest Staff of Death T3.
Total crafting cost:
T1 = 10g
T2 = 800g
T3 = 6,000g
Total = 6,810gIts T3 Greater Power gives:

Now compare that to the Staff of Power T3.
The Staff of Power costs around 20k+ total to craft, but its Greater Power is giving essentially the same type of benefits.
And this isn't just the Staff of Death.
Most of the other staff lines I've looked at — cleric, druid, divine soul, etc. — end up costing around 6,810g total. They still get the spell slots, +2 skill bonuses, and their usable spells/powers.
The wizard staffs are the odd ones out.
The Staff of Power and Greater Staff of Aegis are around 20k+ total, while most of the other T3 staffs are around 6.8k total.
So I understand that the toolset is saying the wizard staffs are worth substantially more.
What I'm trying to show is that I don't see where that extra value is coming from in actual use.
If one staff costs around 6,810g and another costs around 20,000g+, I would expect the 20k staff to be substantially better. But when I compare what the staffs actually give the character, I'm seeing very similar bonuses and powers.
That's the part I think needs to be looked at. It may not be the crafting-price formula that's wrong — it may be whatever properties on the wizard staffs are causing the toolset to value them so much higher.
-
@ZLandrloff Can you toss up a picture of the wizard staff? Its possible what we have here is a typo somewhere in a price - but a side by side can help me figure out and know exactly where to go double check my notes and see what is happening.
-
-
-
@ZLandrloff Right, I'd hoped you'd show the powers - you already said the prices. :D
I'll go look at them myself, but I'll need to find some time to do the comparison screenshots. So please be patient!
-
@Mr-Moloch Ok, looked myself. Yes, its a typo. The staff that only adds one more slot and 2 skills was entered in wrong. It shouldn't be 6800 it should have been 800. Typo.
-
M Mr.Moloch moved this topic from Bug Reports
-
much love and sorry i did think of that





